VCU Microscopy Facility Rules
Those who abuse these Microscopy facility rules and/or equipment will lose sign-up privileges.
- Users must receive training in the use of the microscope prior to use. Only training from the Microscopy facility staff is acceptable. If you have not had instruction from the facility staff in the use of the microscope, you must arrange a training session with the facility director prior to reserving time.
- Due to demand for microscope time, users may reserve, in advance, only one session at a time. Additional sessions may be reserved after that session is completed. If you need to reserve multiple sessions in advance, please contact the facility director prior to reserving time.
- For most systems, sessions are limited to three hours in duration. If you require a session that is longer than three hours, please contact the facility director prior to reserving time. N.B. the 3 hour limit does not apply to the spinning disc confocal microscope.
- If you are unable to use the microscope during the time that you have reserved, please let the facility director know 24 hours in advance. Repeat “no-shows” will lose their sign-up privileges.
- Users who do not arrive within 15 minutes of the beginning of the time block that they have reserved will forfeit their time on the microscope.
- Users are required to enter (in legible notation) all necessary information in the log-book before and after they use the microscope.
- Users must clean the microscope and dispose of garbage when finished. The last user of the evening is responsible for shutting the system down.
- Absolutely NO food or drink is allowed in the microscope rooms.
- The system computers are for temporary image storage. All image files must be removed from the computer hard drive when you have completed your imaging session. Files left on the hard drive will not be backed up.
- For funding purposes, it is essential to acknowledge the Microscopy Facility in all publications that include data derived from the facility. This should include the statement: "Microscopy was performed at the VCU Microscopy Facility, supported, in part, by funding from NIH-NCI Cancer Center Support Grant P30 CA016059"
Scott Henderson, Ph.D.
Microscopy Facility Director